Screen sharing can play an important role in workplace communication. Whether you’re solely sharing on-screen information or preparing for a video conference, there are several etiquette basics to follow. Before your next screen sharing session, consider the tips we share here:
For the Host
- If you’re planning to host a screen sharing meeting, begin by sending out invitations well in advance. Busy lifestyles often make it difficult to keep track of one-time conferences or special occasions, so a quick Google Calendar invitation will increase the likelihood that your attendees tune in to the meeting.
- Test the technology beforehand. Successful screen sharing depends upon cooperation between all parties, but it’s best to give the technology a test run before the meeting. If it’s your first time screen sharing or it’s been a while since you’ve used this tool, take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the process.
- Make sure your desktop and screens are in order. When you screen share, the attendee(s) will see an exact replica of what’s on your screen. To ensure a successful session, be sure that your desktop and tabs are free from anything off-topic. Even if you’re meeting with close colleagues, it’s proper etiquette to close social media pages and focus on the topic of discussion.
For the Attendee
- Attending a screen sharing meeting should be a stress-free experience. If the host sends out reference material ahead of time, be sure to thoroughly read the information so you’re prepared. Failing to review the notes may result in confusion or roadblocks along the way, which can be frustrating for the host.
- To cut down on the potential for technical difficulties, arrive early to log in or await the invitation. If you’re planning to use your webcam in addition to screen sharing technology, you may want to give it a quick test.
- Treat a screen sharing or virtual meeting as you would a traditional conference. Be sure to turn off notifications that may be distracting, and close all unnecessary windows. Keep in mind that everything that’s on your screen is visible when screen sharing, so take a few minutes to make sure everything’s in appropriate order.
Screen sharing can be a valuable method of communication and an efficient way to exchange information. If you’re on the search for new technology to improve the workflow of your office, our team at EON can provide everything you need. We offer a wide array of products and services, ranging from technology solutions to print and promotional supplies. To learn more about how we can help, please reach out to our team. We’re happy to help you find the perfect solution(s) for your workplace, and we’ll work with you to create the ideal plan for your needs.