The Importance of Lumbar Support
What is Lumbar Support?
Most of us have heard the term “lumbar support”, but may not know what it is or why it really matters. People often slouch forward in their office chairs and cause strain on the lower back, also known as the lumbar region. The lumbar part of our spines is the most susceptible to wear and injury, so it is vital that we have excellent lumbar support in our office chairs. Lumbar back support helps assist the natural inward curve of our lower backs.
Types of Lumbar Support
One of the best tools for lumbar support is an office chair designed with ergonomics in mind. Often, an ergonomic office chair will have a lumbar support curvature built right into the chair, or offer adjustable back support. Portable lumbar support is also an option if we use many different office chairs throughout the day. Lumbar cushions tie into the back of our office chairs, and are designed to support the lower back.
Global G20 Safco Softspot Backrest
Positioning the Office Chair for Lumbar Support
Here are some excellent tips from Spine-Health.com on how to position our office chairs for optimal lumbar support:
- The office chair should have elbow supports to avoid strain on the neck. Elbows should be able to comfortably rest on the elbow supports at a right angle.
- Knees should be bent at a right angle, with a footrest to elevate the feet while sitting in the office chair, if necessary.
- Eyes should be able to look straight ahead at the computer while seated in the office chair.
- Ears, shoulders, and pelvis (hips) are kept in alignment
- Natural inward curvature of the lower spine is maintained
Do you have any tips for getting great lumbar support? We would love to hear them!